by Phebe Myers, AmeriCorps member serving on the Bank of America team with Young Achievers Science and Math Pilot K-8 School
Welcome all incoming AmeriCorps members for the 2016-2017 City Year Boston corps! I remember standing in your shoes, wondering nervously what the year ahead would bring. I read over every blog and article that might give me some insight to the City Year AmeriCorps experience. The truth is, nothing can possibly prepare you for the first day you step into your new classroom decked out in City Year swag. But these tips will do their best to help you!
1. Breathe. The first few days will seem overwhelming but everything will click into place.
2. Smile! Everyone at City Year is as nervous as you, and just as excited about making friends. Branch out from your comfort zone and you’ll be amazed at the community you find.
3. Listen. I can’t tell you how many valuable and important lessons there were in Basic Training Academy that I wish I had paid better attention to. At the time it might seem long and tiring to pay attention for all six weeks, but every lesson is chock full of tips and tricks from the best people in the biz (your Learning and Development team).
4. Ask. I still remember the people that asked intriguing questions during the first few weeks. It was a great way to get recognition from other corps members and begin to grasp the true meaning of what it is to be a change agent.
5. Leap. City Year is scary. There are times throughout this year that I have questioned everything I believed in. Moments I thought there was no way I could get through this. But I have, and I have learned more than I ever could have imagined. This year is incredibly invaluable so jump right in and get ready!
Best of luck!