The Moccasins Mentoring Initiative takes its name from one of City Year’s Founding Stories. The Moccasin Story is adapted from a Cherokee prayer, “Oh Great Spirit, grant that I may never criticize my brother or my sister until I have walked the trail of life in their moccasins.” Through this mentoring program, Jacksonville business and community leaders have the opportunity to deeply engage with City Year’s work while simultaneously showcasing their commitment to education and leadership development by mentoring a City Year AmeriCorps member.
How It Works
- Each mentor will be matched with a currently serving AmeriCorps member. To assist in the matching of each mentoring pair, we are asking that both mentees and mentors complete a quick survey and return it to City Year by Wednesday, August 16. Click here to complete your application.
- Each mentor will be screened at no-cost by the Duval County Public School district to allow mentors to visit their AmeriCorps mentee during service hours.
- Each mentor-mentee pairing can connect as necessary to support the AmeriCorps members (at least 1 hour/month), including but not limited to, visiting your mentee at school, reviewing applications and resumes, meeting over coffee, enjoying Jacksonville area events like a Jacksonville Jaguars or Armada game, or catching at show at The Florida Theatre.
- Mentors will receive a bi-monthly newsletter with suggested professional development topics to cover with their mentee and program updates.
- Mentors will receive quarterly phone calls from City Year staff to check on your experience in the program
Contact Laura Crosby at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904.423.2102 with any questions.