AmeriCorps member Darryll Lim (’15) remembers his first day of service on the Northrop Grumman Foundation team to be very empowering. Darryll is a University of California, Santa Barbara alum, and will serving a second year at George Washington Carver Middle School in South L.A.
Darryll serves because he wants to “help guide his students to make their dreams a reality.” Here Darryll shares advice for our incoming corps to help them make the most of their service year:
1. If you are not having fun, neither are your students. Impact and enjoyment are not mutually exclusive.
2. Enjoy every moment that you have with your students, and make every minute matter!
3. Always remind yourself that you are not alone in this journey and that you have your team to fall back on.
4. Don't be afraid to set high expectations for yourself and your students, and don't forget to celebrate the small joys and victories.
5. Nobody said it would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it.